A noisy neighbour has got his TV and stereo back – after they were seized when he failed to comply with an order to keep quiet.
Scott Houghton received an official warning from environmental health officials after families living in Harrington Street, Wolstanton, complained about him repeatedly playing music and having his television too loud.
But Houghton ignored the order by continuing to crank up the volume between May 31 and July 23 last year.
After having his equipment confiscated, he was then taken to court by Newcastle Borough Council where he pleaded guilty to seven counts of failing to comply with a noise abatement notice.
Magistrates at North Staffordshire Justice Centre also agreed to let Houghton have his television, hi-fi unit and speakers back – on the proviso he paid the authority’s £366 bill for having the equipment seized in the first place.
However, he has been warned he will be prosecuted again if he continues to disturb his neighbours.
A report to the borough council said: “Prosecution proceedings were brought against Mr Houghton for failing to comply with a noise abatement notice by playing excessively loud amplified music.
“The legal costs in taking this action have been recognised by the court and a full costs award has been made.
“The noise abatement notice remains in force and any future breaches will be investigated and action taken in line with established policies and procedures.”
Pensioner Brian Birks, chairman of Wolstanton Residents’ Association, today welcomed the court action after receiving complaints about issues with noisy neighbours in his street.
The 76-year-old, of Bristol Street, Wolstanton, said: “We have had things like this happen in Bristol Street where I am.
“If he has not taken any notice of the order and he has been warned, he can’t complain. This sort of action does work.
“Hopefully he will keep the noise down from now on.”
Magistrates fined Houghton £200 for the first breach of the noise abatement notice with no further punishment for the other six offences.
He was also ordered to pay the council’s £1,403 costs including the £366 bill for seizing the TV and stereo.
Source: Stoke Sentinel, to read more, click here.